Welcome to the State Training Board
The State Training Board is a statutory body established by Part 3 of the Vocational Education and Training Act 1996.
The Board is the peak industry training advisory body to the Minister for Training and Workforce Development in Western Australia. The role of the Board is to provide high level expert advice to the Minister on matters relating to vocational education and training (VET) in Western Australia including:
- the existing and anticipated supply and demand for skills in various industries;
- strategies to support industries which are experiencing skill shortages;
- policy which aims to improve the links between specific industry developments and VET so as to gain optimum employment opportunities for people and ensure the availability of appropriately skilled labour in the State;
- strategic directions, policies and priorities for the State training system;
- emerging international, national and State training issues;
- the extent to which training services meet the current and future requirements of industry and the community, including the requirement for equal opportunity of access to those services; and
- any other matters as directed by the Minister.
The Board has a legislated function to provide advice and make recommendations to the Minister on the establishment and/or variation of apprenticeships and traineeships in Western Australia.
A key function of the Board includes the preparation of the State Training Plan that provides a four year outlook into Western Australia’s skills needs and priorities. The Profile ensures that the State Government is provided with the information needed to address the training needs of all West Australians.
The Board’s market intelligence is provided by the Training Council network in Western Australia. The Training Councils provide high level, strategic advice that involves analysis, research and consultation with various industries.
I look forward to working closely with my fellow Board members, the Minister for Training and Workforce Development, industry training councils, the Department of Training and Workforce Development and our key industry stakeholders to progress strategic issues impact the VET sector in Western Australia.
If there is something that concerns you about the VET sector in Western Australia, please contact the Office of the State Training Board on 6551 5593 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHAIR, STATE TRAINING BOARD