State Training Plans
Section 21(1)(a) of the Vocational Education and Training Act 1996 requires the State Training Board to prepare for the Minister's approval a State Training Plan. The Plan contributes to the policy and purchasing direction for the training system in Western Australia for the short to medium term.
The State Training Plan is developed each year within the context of current State and national vocational education and training policies, commitments and agreements. In addition, a range of inputs feed the plan including:
- analysis of economic, labour market and demographic data;
- industry consultation and advice;
- regional advice; and
- other relevant research and reports.
In recent years the State Training Plan is informed by the State Priority Occupation List (SPOL) and the Western Australian Shares Model developed by the Department of Training and Workforce Development. The SPOL is a list of occupations that are in high demand or considered industry-critical in Western Australia. The Shares Model is an economic model that provides an indication of how future training resources should be distributed in order to meet the future demand for skilled workers in Western Australia.
Current State Training Plan
The State Training Plan 2015-2018 was endorsed by Minister Kim Hames MLA on 30 September 2014. The State Training Plan 2015-2018 identifies and recommends the following training investment priorities for the State:
- Occupational Priorities: continued focus on apprenticeships and traineeships, priority industry qualifications and essential foundation skills.
- Youth: continued focus on foundation skills training and stronger emphasis on pathways to higher level qualifications and/or employment.
- Under-represented groups: continued focus on foundation skills training and emphasis on training for Aboriginal people, people with a disability and those living in regional and remote areas; and
- Ageing Population: continued emphasis on training for health and community services occupations.
An updated version of the Plan (minor amendments only) is available for download - State Training Plan 2015-2018
Previous State Training Plans
State Training Plan 2014-2017
State Training Plan 2013-2016
State Training Plan 2012-2015
State Training Plan 2011-2013
State Training Plan 2010-2012
State Training Plans were also referred to as 'State Training Profiles':
State Training Profile 2009-2011
State Training Profile 2008
State Training Profile 2007